CAP Mission Pilot/Observer FM Radio Quick(?) Reference Guide for the Technisonic TDFM-136 FM Radio.
In order for the FM radio to function properly several external switches need to set in the proper positions. The desired positions require knowledge of the seat position numbering. Seat numbering is as follows:
Pilot: seat position 1
Observer/Copilot: seat position 2
Scanner/Seat position behind pilot: seat position 3
Seat position behind the Observer/Copilot: seat position 4
1) Turn on Mission Radio toggle switch in panel directly below the FM radio.
2) Turn the FM radio's
3) Turn the rotary Guard volume control fully CCW.
4) Set the MN/GD toggle switch to the MN position.
5) Set the HI/LO toggle switch to the HI position.
Upon power-up the radio will automatically conduct a self-test sequence. Wait until the self-test sequencing is complete before attempting to select a channel.
Selection of the desired radio frequency is done by selecting the proper preprogrammed channels. Selection can be done by either scanning through the channels or directly punching in the desired channel number. If you enter any key sequence in error simply clear it by depressing the */ESC key.
Selecting the desired channel number directly is accomplished as follows:
1) Depress the 1/CHAN key.
2) Depress the three digit channel number. All channel numbers MUST be entered in a three key sequence. If the desired channel number is only two digits in length, precede the channel selection with a '0'. I.E. channel number 43 would be entered as '0','4','3'.
3) Depress the #/ENTER key.
Selecting the desired channel number by scanning is accomplished as follows:
1) Depress the 4 key to scan in a decreasing sequence of channel numbers or depress the 6 key to scan in an increasing sequence of channels. The longer the switch is held the faster the scanning sequence.
2) Stop when the desired channel number is visible.
1) Depress the COM3/MIC switch on the Observer/Copilot audio panel.
2) Select the FM/UHF switch above the trim wheel to FM.
3) Select the seat position switch above the trim wheel as appropriate.
4) If the Observer is to talk, set the switch position to seat 2.
5) If the Scanner is to talk, set the switch position to seat 3. The Scanner PTT switch is located on his left arm rest.
Note: The pilot can talk on the FM radio regardless of the positioning of the seat switch as long as his COM3/MIC switch is selected.